I’d like to start adding these to my weekly posts because I always have these random thoughts that I’m like, “yeah, genius, blog about this.” And then I can never make it long enough for anyone to care to read. And then, it’s a waste of everyone’s time. So I will just add little weekly blips (aptly called ____day Wrap Up) in case I don’t write it on the same night every week. lol. I’m looking to be incredibly busy in the next few weeks, and with good reason.
1. I had a meeting at work today that was… just… ridiculously amazingly cool. And I don’t even think that it was something that meant as much to the other two women I met with as much as it meant to me. In short (because this is a wrap up after all), I wrote this ridiculously awesome (I don’t care if it sounds vain, it was a damn good paper) thesis/Capstone paper on bringing some specialized student support to the school where I teach. I have talked about this project to anyone who would listen (including the President of the college, whom I refer to as “my friend” though I don’t think she sees it quite like that, but who cares?) and I finally have a chance to make it a reality. You cannot possibly know what that means to me. I can’t even put into words what it means to me. Just know that I am so humbled, anxious, and frankly scared shitless because this is my chance to PROVE MYSELF and make things happen. And I intend to put my all into it. This is my baby step in the direction of my dreams, and I will not let myself, or anyone else, down.
2. My life is so incredibly amazing. I still have to pinch myself… a little over one year ago, I got hired for a position that I had no clue would lead me to this.. all of this. Greatness. Goodness. Passion. God has set me on a path of goodness and wonderful blessings, and I intend to never forget to honor Him. Without Him, I wouldn’t be here. And I believe that 100%. Had I not come back to Him, and allowed Him to take control of my life, I don’t know where I’d be. And that, my friends, is the most honest and humbling thing to know. And I do know it. And I am forever grateful.
3. I am the most prepared I have ever been at the earliest date ever for the fall semester. My syllabi are completed, course calendars are polished, and I am working on finalizing my lists I have for my students. It’s amazing what can happen when you are staring down the barrel of…
4. VACATION!! It’s upon us. We fly out to El Paso in a little over 24 hours, and I am SO READY for this. I have never admitted to needing a break so badly, but I do. And I mean it. I have worked myself to the bone all.freaking.year. and I am ready for a break. I plan on swimming, having fun, relaxing, dancing, laughing, drinking a little margarita action, shopping, and just…being. I haven’t “been” in… well.. a year, really. And I need to just be. I know I am not kidding myself, and I am taking some work with me (care of number one and number three up there) but I am not going to DO much of anything. It all requires reading. I can read all the time. I intend not to think about much except how good the sun feels, and how blue the Texas sky is…and how loved and blessed I am. All the time.
5. My girls are in this awesomely terrible stage of whining, fighting, and pushing each other’s buttons pretty much every hour they are awake. And it’s so annoying, but I now know what my mom went through with me and my little sister. I would like to think that she and I got along all the time, but I know better. I try to handle it with grace and understanding, but sometimes it’s so…constant and loud…that I raise my voice. I don’t yell, or holler, or scream. I just firmly let them both know that they are going to have to figure out how to get along, or the next 18-20 years will be terrible for both of them. It’s hard because Ellery is still in the whole “I’m 19 (!!!) months old, and I don’t care what you say about sharing and being nice because the world revolves around me and what I want” toddler phase. And Caelan is in the whole, “I know I need to be nice and share, but sometimes I just need to have my own stuff and space, and my little sister doesn’t understand it” phase. Any help/advice/wine is appreciated on this one, folk. I like to let them try to work it out, but it also doesn’t help that Caelan is mega intelligent and doesn’t get why Ellery doesn’t understand what she does. Reason number 5 why I am done having kids: Two is enough to make me want to drink wine at every meal, snack, potty break some days.
6. Cold Specks is my new favorite artist. Check her out. She is incredible. I cannot stop listening to her while I work. I am listening to her right now, as a matter of fact. “I predict a graceful expulsion…”
That’s it for now. I need to tidy up a bit and get ready for bed. The next 24 hours will go by too fast, and we will have to get up too early Sunday morning to get to the airport for a flight that is now over two hours earlier than the original flight I booked the first time… yeah. It won’t be pretty. But it will be vacation. And that, my friends, is all that matters.